Organisations focus on training people on hard skills but on the other hand employees put heavy reliance on transferable soft skills that we call practices. These transferable soft skills are acquired implicitly over the years to deal with problems they are facing in their jobs. We do not recognise the importance of implicit practices (transferable soft skills) and we do not have a structured way of spotting and acquiring these implicit practices.
So we need a tool to help us learn how to spot the implicit practices and make explicit reflections, learn and develop self directed learning practices. A tool that encourages us to “connect and contextualise” the practices and insert meaning into what we do in a sustainable manner - this is the driving goal of the Practice Spotting™ Tool.
Practice Spotting™ is an observational and sensemaking tool that enables you to widen and deepen perspectives and challenge your assumptions to uncover the implicit practices. It also uncovers the hidden learning opportunities from people in your life, the stories that you hear, the books and articles that you read, the films and videos that you watch and the conversations that you have.
We developed this tool as we observed individuals, teams and organisations at work to:
- Be more aware of the behaviours of the self and others.
- See what the implicit and explicit practices are around you.
- Uncover the practices that you want to strengthen.
- Embody the explicit interactions and behaviours you want to promote in yourself, team and organisation.
- Take ownership of learning, practice and sustain the implicit practices (transferable soft skills) to promote the culture that we desire.
Make Meaningful Work Guided Practice Journal Tool
The Make Meaningful Work Guided Practice Journal records observations and provides explicit moments at which to stop, be present, reflect on and record what you have learned as a result of the experience of working with others.
The practice of keeping a journal helps us to:
- Gain a much clearer understanding of ourselves.
- Experience how an open and safe workspace feels like.
- Acquire a deeper understanding of the people with whom we are working with.
- Develop practical methods (in the form of practice cards) that help us learn and apply these practices.
- Connect with others who may have interests in similar topics, practices, or themes.
- Continue to apply practices you feel strongly about.
- Understand capability gaps and what is needed to enhance and improve them.
Our Journal Instruments include:
- Roles and Responsibilities Map
- Character Cards
- Narrative Cards
- Story Cards
- Notes Cards
- Spotting Cards
- Practice Cards
- Practice & Progress Cards
- Learning Portfolio
- Meaning Canvas
Micro Exercises to Apply Immediately into your work
Use the Practice Cards to record micro exercises to apply immediately into your work. The Practices are derived from stories and the exercises help to connect and contextualise the practice into your work, move from words to actions and build character to insert meaning into what you do.
Sustain with the Make Meaningful Work™ Global Community
We have a range of Global facilitated and non facilitated learning and development Adventures and Events based on a range of outcomes to suit your practice needs.